Having a healthy digestive system is extremely important. Whether you are an athlete, bodybuilder or average Joe, it’s important for your body to break down and digest foods and convert them into energy as efficiently as possible.
“Your digestive system breaks down the foods you eat into the nutrients your body needs. If you neglect your digestive health, your body could run into problems digesting foods and absorbing those nutrients,” says Krisha McCoy on Everyday Health.
For some of us, digestive discomfort has become a fact of life, like never getting enough sleep or having too much to do. We complain about everyday ailments such as occasional gas, bloating and irregularity, assuming they are inevitable. But, they don’t have to be. By paying attention and making a few simple changes, you can help your digestive system do the job it was made to do – absorbing nutrients and keeping things running smoothly. Learn what you can do today to help take care of your digestive system.
Tips for Good Digestive Health
Good digestive health starts with making healthy food and lifestyle choices. Here are some effective tops to improve your digestive health.
- Eat a High-fiber Diet: No surprise here. Consuming a diet that is high in fiber will keep foods moving through your digestive tract. It can also help prevent a number of common digestive issues such as constipation, IBS and others.
- Stay Hydrated: Always drink plenty of water. Water helps your body dissolve fats and fiber, and helps things move through your system more efficiently.
- Add Probiotics into your Diet: Probiotics are healthy bacteria that exist in your digestive tract. Adding more to your diet, through food and supplements, will help keep your body healthy. Low fat yogurt, sourdough bread, sour pickles and kimchi are a great source of probiotics. Want to include more probiotics into your diet?
- Cleanse and Detox: Performing a cleanse on occasion will help your body refresh and recharge, and allow your digestive system to reset.
- Limit Consumption of Processed Foods: It’s always best to choose fresh, high-quality food sources such as fruits, vegetables and lean meats over processed and high-fat food options.
- Exercise Regularly: Exercise helps keep food moving through your system as it uses the food you consume for energy. It also helps you maintain a healthy weight, something else that will improve your digestion.
- Eat on a Schedule: Your body loves routine. Eating frequent, smaller meals and snacks will keep your digestive system working effectively and efficiently.
Following these tips will ensure that your digestive system is working optimally. Something that will keep you healthy, full of energy and in a position to achieve your fitness goals.